Sunday, April 13, 2008

Introducing Janneke to you!

Sometimes I wonder what to write about on my blog. How to decide from my days that are busy and my experiences that are full of so much. Today I am excited about an idea. I want to introduce each of my nieces and nephews to you. So often they are one of a sibling group, a family unit, the Borgdorff grandchildren and in some way, in each of these they are celebrated...but let me take some time to share with each of you!

Introducing Janneke Ruth....Janneke is almost 15 years old. I remember the night of her birth. My sister Suzi, my parents and I were all "sleeping" until the phone rang somewhere around midnight. It was the first grandchild and our excitement was evident. Suzi and I met up in the hallway as my parents were sitting up in bed talking to Arlene and Dan. We learned of the details, of her length, her weight, her health and her name. I remember the gasp in my mom's voice when she learned of her first granddaughters name...Janneke...named after my Mom's dutch name and I remember, oh what a wonderful idea...what a beautiful name!

It was not long after that and Arlene and Dan traveled to Grand Rapids from California and we were able to meet Janneke. Her smile, her big brown eyes and the feeling in my heart are what I remember most of those days many years ago. I learned the thrill of being an aunt. The joy of thinking this child will always be special to me in a way that no other child has been. I remember wanting to introduce her to my friends and share my delight in this little one.

Over the years my delight in Janneke has not changed. She is full of life and quickly shares a smile, a comment and a laugh with whomever she is with. She is wonderfully able to sing and her confidence has allowed her to bring joy to many in song. She is gifted athletically and has enjoyed the fun of sports. At the end of the game though, she is often more concerned about being a good sport to her team and the opposing team than what the final score is.

The last 15 years have gone quickly. I remember the night of her birth like it was yesterday. She is no longer my only niece, now she is my oldest niece, but she is none the less an incredible person in my life. She is busier now and High School, babysitting and life fills her calendar quickly. She is more aware now of my life and my business and has learned to show interest in my day to day with fun questions. She is a child I can envision taking a road trip with and filling the entire time with good conversation, silly laughter, remembering and reflecting, singing, wondering and marveling at the mystery of God and his goodness.

Janneke is the oldest of five children. She is a leader in her family, amongst her friends, in her classroom and on stage. Most recently I enjoyed watching her perform as Maisie in The Boyfriend. She has a good mind which allowed her lines to come easily, she has good rhythm which allowed her to do "The Charleston" even though she wondered if she could and she has life in her eyes and her spirit which allowed her to enjoy the adventure of performing. I am so proud of her and her willingness to risk, to live honestly in the pain and struggles of friendships, to find comfort in knowing that God has a plan for her life, and to stand up and share about what she believes in. I love how she can feel deep joy and live in a free spirited fashion. I want so much for Jannie in her day to day. I long for her to believe deeply that she is loved, celebrated and delighted in when she succeeds and when she does not. I look forward to many more years with my wonderful, happy, caring, optimistic, book reading, song singing, passionate niece. I will encourage her to trust God's leading, to listen to His voice, and to marvel at all He plans to do, in her and through her!

I love you Janneke Ruth....

No comments: